The blend of grapes: the soul of every wine, and well-known secret to its perfection. Under the regulations governing the production of Valdobbiadene DOCG, just like all Proseccos produced in the Veneto, Glera represents the foundation (85%), but the law allows for the remaining 15% to be other grape varieties. So to the two Glera grape varieties we add: Verdisio, a traditional variety from the Treviso hills which serves to enhance the flavour and acidity and lends a touch of bitterness to the finish; Perera, which makes the aroma and bouquet more intense; and finally Bianchetta, which softens and adds a touch of refinement to the Prosecco.
Valdobbiadene prosecco superiore docg
A medium-sized spherical berry with a substantial, thick and yellowish-green skin.
Medium-sized spherical berry with a golden yellow colour. Thick and substantial skin
Round berry featuring a pruinose skin. Shiny bright yellow in colour.
Medium-sized spherical berry with a substantial and thick skin. Yellowish-green in colour
Very large ellipsoid berry with a light green skin.
The great variety of soil types found in the Conegliano Valdobbiadene DOCG district are the result of sea and lake uplift. Where the action of glaciers has shaped the hills, they brought with them sediments, creating deep soils comprising sand and clay conglomerate rocks. In areas that were free of glaciers, the soils remained marine in origin, meaning not so deep, and composed predominantly of marl and sandstone.
The soils of the Conegliano Valdobbiadene district have very ancient origins and substantial differences can be found in soils that are just a few kilometres apart. It’s these great soil variations that can be perceived in the character of the resulting sparkling wines, as can easily be appreciated by tasting a glass of Cartizze or Rive. Below, we present some of the main soil types and the distinctive nuances they give to the wines.
- Central western area
- Central area
- Central eastern area
- Eastern area
The hillsides here are very steep and completely south-facing. The soils are the oldest within the denomination and generally not very deep. They consist of marl and white sandstone that allow not only fast drainage of rain, but also a consistent reserve of groundwater. The resulting wines are floral, with great length and elegance, and hints of fruit and aromatic herbs. The taste is characterised by minerality and great length.
The winemaking area of Valdobbiadene is located in the province of Treviso and stretches across the hillsides between the towns of Conegliano and Valdobbiadene, nestled halfway between the Dolomites and the Adriatic Sea. This produces a favourable climate and landscape. Due to its marine origin, the soil composition is generally clayey. Ideal for growing Glera vines.
The eastern area is typified by gently rolling hills and soils derived from the action of glaciers. They are mainly clayey, hazelnut coloured, and rich in sand and fine gravel. They yield grapes which tend to be richer in sugar, and which are harvested in the first half of September. The resulting wines display a very intense bouquet, with aromas of ripe fruit, and a full taste and persistent finish.
Central eastern area
Characterised by hillsides whose slope angles rarely exceed 40-50%. The soils here are ancient and have a distinctive reddish colour. This is caused by the presence of iron oxides, and gives them their local name Ferretti, (or Iron soils). They are generally clayey and stony. The resulting wines typically present good intense aromas of yellow fruit, with floral and sometimes spicy notes and good length.
This area has very rugged, steep-sided hills, which are vulnerable to erosion and landslides. Viticulture practices here have ensured a great deal of hillside stabilisation, and thus helped protect and preserve them. The soils originate from the uplift of the seabed and are made up of clays, sandstones and marls. The wines crafted here are characterised by floral and white fruit aromas, and a very pleasant and intense palate.
Central western area
The hills here can be recognised by their height and steep slopes, as well as their distinctive conical shapes that rear up directly from the plain. The soils are shallow, consisting of sandstone and conglomerates. The high percentage of sand means they provide good drainage. They yield wines that are more floral than fruity, with a marked acid note and aromatic freshness that tends towards citrusy, and lemon in particular. On the palate the wine is tangy and linear.